Athens Airport Information
Athens Airport began operation on 29 March 2001 and is the primary civilian airport that serves the city of Athens and its region Attica. Since then the till 2012, the airport has welcomed 140 million passengers who traveled from and towards Athens with over 1.8 million flights. It is known as International Airport Eleftherios Venizelos, and was named after a great Greek politician of the 20th century and formerly prime minister of Greece. It is located in Spata, approx 38km away from the center of Athens. Athens airport , Eleftherios Venizelos.
Athens Airport is accessible by a new highway, “Attiki odos”, wide enough for 5.400 cars per hour towards all directions.
Athens Airport, apart from operating flights from and towards Athens it participates and contributes to the cultural life of Greece as well as the projection of the Greek heritage and contemporary Greek spirit. Apart from the permanent exhibition, dedicated to Eleftherios Venizelos, and the exhibition of archaeological treasures, various cultural collaborations with museums, cultural centers and institutions of Greece and of abroad are hosted and projected. In this way they offer a unique cultural experience to millions of passengers and visitors at the Athens Airport.
Facilities of Athens Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos”
- There are many cash-points as well as various subsidiary banks of bigger banks such as Alpha Bank, Emporiki Bank, National Bank that offer a great deal of bank services.
- Exchange Bureaus.
- Tax return service at the departures level (Non-Sengken)
- Athens Airport offers a left luggage service in the arrivals area, operating from 6am till 2am.
- A 24hour operating lost property office.
- Luggage safety wrapping service.
- Red cap service to assist you with carrying your luggage.
Internet services at Athens Airport
- Athens Airport offers wireless access to internet (wi-fi hot spots)
- Free use of PCs which are available within the airport area.
- Business center located at the arrivals level, a specially designed area to accomplish the professional needs of the passengers (PC, fax machine, printer, internet).
- A meeting room is also available for max 6 people.
- Athens Airport offers to travelers a safe place, managed by specially trained staff to enable you to accomplish the necessary traveling procedures while your kids are kept creatively busy and in safety. The area is available from 9am to 21pm.
- In addition, there are specially designed toilets with baby changing facilities.
- The International Athens Airport offers a fully equipped first-aid point, operating 24 hours.
- Just opposite Athens Airport stands “Sofitel”, an international hotel chain.
- A few Km, 22 from the airport is the Holiday Inn hotel, an international hotel chain too.
Shopping at Athens Airport
- More than 50 selected stores and 14 restaurants with taste variety are available the pleasure of its passengers.
Information, tourist agencies and car-hire bureaus
- At Athens Airport there is the Greek Organization of Tourism (EOT) office, where you can inquire information about your holiday in Athens and other regions of Greece.
- Within the airport area you will also find travel agencies and car-hire services.
Special needs services
- Athens Airport offers specially designated areas for people with mobility difficulty at the main entrance of the airport at both the arrivals and the departures areas.
- Ramps are also made to enable people with mobility difficulty to move freely on the pavements around the airport.
- Special elevators for people with mobility, sight and hearing difficulty.
- Phone boxes, drinkable water machines, Internet access points, toilets and electronic check-in points specially designed for people with mobility, hearing and sight difficulty.
- In case of an emergency, audio-visual alarm device will be activated in order to assist people in need to follow the emergency procedures.